Google+





Monday, March 01, 2010

TOLDYA! Gullermo del Toro Comfirms 3D Talk For THE HOBBIT!!!

Jim here. I LOVE IT when a plan comes together and THE HOBBIT has been planned to be in 3D for some time now. They are just deciding to go public with it today.

Way back in November of 2007 MarketSaw was first to deliver the exclusive that THE HOBBIT will be in 3D. Back then, we made public multiple bombshells that were immediately reacted to on the Internet like our third STAR WARS trilogy news of late. The first piece of news back then was that Peter Jackson was coming back to the project and that his legal dispute with New Line had been settled - no one else had this info. Second piece was that Jackson will be directing and at the time he was indeed planning on it. Once he decided to only produce, GDT entered the picture. Movies and their production most certainly evolve and potentially change over time. THE HOBBIT certainly did. Third was that THE HOBBIT would be shot in stereoscopic 3D. This was never heard of before and many, MANY people were caught off guard - some even belligerent about the notion. Guillermo himself commented on the situation over on TORn. Fourth, it was MarketSaw that broke the news that the original LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy would be converted to S3D. Fifth, back in December of 2007 we told you first that THE HOBBIT will be divided into multiple movies. We said two movies at first and then we caught wind of a potential third. The third was talked about a great deal over at Wingnut, but has since faded to two. Possibility still exists to make three - I am not saying that it is going away completely.

S3D was AGAIN talked about at a HIGH level in Wellington in January of 2008.

Doubt about our scoops was rampant
and as I said many were belligerent about it. As this news was coming from multiple, trusted internal sources in Jackson's camp I knew it to be true and I stuck to my guns through thick and thin (remember my PERSONAL GUARANTEE?). Gradually over the years our stories are coming to light - and I can't be any happier! Now Guillermo del Toro has announced publicly on TORn that they are indeed talking about stereoscopic 3D for THE HOBBIT. I put a lot on the line about this story - but it is worth it. Tolkien's universe is dear to my heart.

Here is his words exactly taken from their forums:

I wouldn’t read much on it just yet, but now, after all this time, after AVATAR doing the Box Office it did, we have had enquires from above about The Hobbit being in 3-D. No impositions or heavy leaning. Just enquires. Just fulfilling my promise to let you all know if discussions ever started. Cheers, GDT

Folks - this talk has been around for years and we were the first to bring it to light. Perhaps GDT was held in the dark as he was brought on relatively recently in the whole development. No matter - he is now admitting to it. What is more likely to have happened is that GDT never committed to the possibility of 3D before - it has never been in his toolbox. But Peter Jackson is very VERY much a 3D man. And of course the studio wants it.

Let me set this straight for everyone: Guillermo del Toro is a genius. I love the man's work and I admire how closely he likes to keep his fans updated. But I say it is ok for a movie blog to have a scoop here and there. Sure it takes the a lot of the thunder out of an announcement but I have been keeping the flames fanned for years now and that is worth something too. Guillermo also addressed me personally in his previous TORn posting:

"I believe Jim is defending what he believes to be true. He is a knowledgeable, passionate film-lover and perhaps his source in this case is also someone that would love to see the HOBBIT films happen in 3D. Perhaps so- Jim has been right in the past and he may be right in the future. He is dead-on about the imminent conversion of film into an expanding 3-D field - at least in most blockbusters and I know of, at least, 4 or 5 major filmmakers preparing 3D films right now. Some of them seriously artistic and ungimmicky!! I've seen AVATAR and I was absolutely blow away by it!! I myself expect to explore 3D soon enough- it is the future, just not my immediate future. I promise to you guys and Jim to let you know if anything changes in that or any regard,,, And no- neither David Tennant nor Tom Cruise are Bilbo and we are not redesigning Gollum. My best wishes to all- GDT"


So there you have it.
The decision to go S3D has finally come around to being practically official. I am overjoyed at the possibilities that THE HOBBIT(s) in 3D represent!! Don't forget the recent delay announcement for the production. A little more time for S3D...

What do you think??
THE HOBBIT in S3D? WOW!

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.